24 April 2017

Photo / Video Ops

Sunday April 23, 2017 I was able to put together (with the help of a good friend Barry V.) a morning at Waddington Town Beach and his Harley Davidson SuperGlide for Relic to get some really great pics! 





I was in Partial suit for the first half and put the full suit on for the last part of the shoot.






Needed to show off the Anchor so had Barry be sure to get a good shot from the back.


The weather couldn't have been any better for the project and it was an interesting endeavor to be back on a motorcycle after 32 years. 

17 April 2017

Leggin's

Well, I made up the Sleeves... so I figured I might as well make the leggin's as well to have all the options to use Relic as a Partial suit as well as the Full suit. So taking all the needed measurements, I cut out the pieces and got to work with needle and thread. 







I had to add straps, front and back to the tops of the leggin's so my suspenders would reach them to hold them up. 





Once everything is in place all parts are held in place without any issues. Now I have endless possibilities of using Relic as a Partial, or as the Full suit. 









There is now not really much room left in the case for much else with both the Full and Partial suit pieces. Couldn't have planned on a better sized case for it all.

15 April 2017

Some Sleeves

For partial use



I decided since I have nearly 2 Yards of Grey fur left that I might as well sew up some sleeves so I can make use of Relic as a partial suit as well as a full.




I made them tight enough around the Biceps that they seem to stay in place without much of a problem but not too sure if wearing the UnderArmour will negate that, I may have to add elastic straps to go across behind the neck to hold them in place.









I guess the next time I get into the UnderArmour I will have to try them on again to see.




14 April 2017

Pinned Not Sewn

Still not 100% certain



That I want this to be a permanent marking... soooo, I pinned it in place using safety pins on Relic's back to see if it would blend into the fur well enough to hide the fact that it is a separate piece and I think this will work for now.





I wanted to commemorate my Navy Service in some way with Relic and the anchor made as much sense as anything.  At some point I would like to add the acknowledgment of being a member of the VFW, but at this point I am not quite sure how to do that. The VFW logo is far to complex to do anything like this.

12 April 2017

Another Unique Marking

I continue to add more items of interest to Relic in both terms of visual and historical importance. A wile back I had thought of the idea of creating a “tatoo” for Relic’s back to commemorate my time in the NAVY, but until now had never gotten a start on it, there were too many other things that needed my attention to be able to take him to the public scene. More recently in order to honor a small bit of my Native American heritage I adopted the Mohawk name Ata'kenhr√≥hkwa  which is the Mohawk word for Grey, for some reason it just seemed to fit. 



Of course I had to decide on the style of anchor to work from and   Navy tradition in thought it didn’t take long to settle on the proper look. Then of course the issue of how large to make it became an issue that took me even longer to work out, but once the decision was made I charged ahead once all the other tweaks I had been working on were finished. With template in hand the work began. 

A Critical Note Of Concern: Be sure you pay attention to the direction the fur lays in! A little attention here can save a remake!

As with any other cuts made in Faux Fur a good sharp razor cutting from the back is the best way, only cut through the material don’t try to cut the strands of fur as well… that does not look good when that happens, its why you don’t use shears!







The accuracy of your cuts should be as close as possible to the lines but really  the overlap of the fur will hide mistakes really well. 








What you make in one color, you will also need in the color you want for the inlay, white for me in this case. Again keep in mind the direction the fur lays. 
Once you confirm the two pieces fit to your liking the sewing can start. As with all the hand sewing I have done on Relic I rely most always on Blanket Stitches. They are self tightening and do not take up much extra material.  With sewing finished you may have areas of the work that look like they “bunch up” a bit, it can’t really be helped but like I said before, the fur hides things very well and once in place its ok, this material does stretch some so really no issues. 

Totally happy with the finished product!
Although I am actually uncertain if I truly want to cut into Relic’s back and sew this in permanently. I will need to put some time into thought before committing to the task. I may utilize the system of magnets like I did to hold his tufts of hair on his head, it will require some experiments, but no irreversible changes needed for that. 





07 April 2017

Relic's First Photo In Print

In The Watertown Daily Times!  

Relic has made his first ever appearance in print in the local newspaper and I am totally psyched! He has been in the on-line edition before... but this time he actually made it to PRINT!  We had a wonderful time at the second annual CannonCon at Jefferson Community College April 1st & 2nd  and look forward to attending this local convention every year in hopes that it continues to grow.